Want us to email you when the next release notes get published? Let us know at email@example.com and we’ll make sure you are notified. You can also look at what’s coming soon on the Amara Product Roadmap.
- 2018-9-10 New language and a new way to invite team members through email
- New: The Franco-Provençal language was added to the Amara language selector. Thanks to Alexandre Raymond for your request!
- New: Team Administrators of Collaboration and Simple teams can invite new members through email even if the members do not have an Amara account yet.
- 2018-8-24 Switched task system over to redis/rq
- 2018-8-23 Style update for team application page and video title bug fix
- 2018-8-13 New Project and Language Manager role for Collaboration teams
- 2018-8-2 Security fixes, new language, and subtitle export improvements
- New: We switched our task system over to redis/rq. We previously used rabbitmq/celery. This should make our site even more stable! It also:
- Simplifies the transition to newer django versions
- Reduces the chance of the task queue going down
- Allows us to move toward reducing our memory usage
- Style update: Applicants to Amara teams now have an updated page with clearer styles from which to apply.
- Bug fix: We fixed a bug that was making partial HTML tags appear in video titles in some cases.
New: Project and Language Manager Role (see blogpost for more details)
- For Administrators of Collaboration Teams:
- Project and Language Managers can be set and filtered on the Member Directory page. When you change a user’s role to project and language manager, you select which projects and languages to give them management permission over.
- Project and Language Management Page:
- Special manager permissions are preserved through migration to Collaboration teams. Managers for projects and languages keep both project and language permissions.
- Project and language managers can use the Management tab to manage requests for individual projects and languages that are assigned to them.
- After selecting a project or language in the Management page, only requests in the selected project or language are available for managing.
- Project and Language Manager Permissions
- Project/Language Managers can view and manage collaborations by clicking “Manage requests” on the video page.
- Project/Language Managers can edit subtitles after they are completed with the “edit subtitles” button on the Subtitle Details Page.
- Project/Language Managers can take approval assignments from their team dashboard or available assignments page.
- New: The Benhti Kenaga’ language [taa] was added to the Amara language selector!
- New: Dari [prs] subtitle tracks now successfully export to Vimeo in one of Vimeo’s supported languages: Farsi [fa-af].
- New: We added a new social media button to Amara.org. Visit our LinkedIn page to connect with our community of professionals!
- Security fixes: Thanks to the following users for reporting security vulnerabilities that were recently fixed! Nikhil Sahoo and Ipsita Subhadarshan Sahoo, Junaid Mumtaz, Shiv Bihari Pandey, Jolan Saluria, Yadnyawalkya Tale, Nikhil Mittal , Sheher Yaar, Alina Iqbal, and Shawar Khan.
Highlights of the new features we launched in July.
- 2018-7-25 Evaluation, assignment history, and activity feed improvements
- 2018-7-04 Collaboration team improvements and bug fixes
- New: From an assignee’s endorsement to a manager’s manual override, all status changes to subtitle requests and their associated assignments can be seen in one filter on the Team Activity page of a Collaboration team.
- New: The Zarma language [dje] was added to the Amara language selector!
- New: Managers of Collaboration Teams can now send back several evaluations at the same time from the Management page > Evaluations tab by selecting them and choosing “Edit.”
- Bug fix: If a user has completed an assignment in a language they don’t speak, an exclamation mark now overlays the user’s icon in the Assignments History on a Collaboration team dashboard.
- New: We’ve added pricing tables for new Subtitling Solutions on Amara. Check out Amara Plus, Amara Pro, and Amara Enterprise!
- New: Owners of Collaboration and Simple teams can add new owners to their teams. Go to the Member Directory, select a member, and change their role to Owner. (see it in GitHub)
- Style update: Cleaned up layout changes for different screen sizes. (see it on GitHub)
- Bug fix: You can now save in the subtitle editor, when the only change is to subtitle position. (see it on GitHub)
- Bug fix: Sending back a request without subtitles does not result in an error.
Highlights of the new features we launched in June.
- 2018-6-26 fixed bugs with machine-assisted captioning and Collaboration team assignments and management
- 2018-6-21 delete all empty subtitles, and bug fixes for the Amara Subtitle Editor
- 2018-6-14 fixed bugs with video hosting site integrations and Collaboration teams
- 2018-6-12 data protection measures around passwords and deactivating Amara user accounts
- 2018-6-04 finishing touches for the undo function in the editor
- Bug Fix: We removed or disabled some confusing call-to-action buttons on other team members’ profiles. You can no longer claim or decline assignments that have already been claimed by another user.
- Bug Fix: Removing a user from a Collaboration Team no longer gives you an error.
- Bug Fix: Machine Automated Captioning requests can now be successfully completed for Brightcove MP4 videos without an error accessing the audio file.
- New: You can delete all empty subtitle cells in the Amara Subtitle Editor in just a few clicks. Check out the new item in the Subtitle Tools menu!
- Feature Update: SRTs exported from Amara are now unformatted, which means they can be used on YouTube and Facebook without issue!
- Bug Fixes: We fixed some issues with ITT files: subtitle position is now preserved when uploading this file type to YouTube, and ampersand characters no longer create problems with exporting.
- Bug Fix: Embedding a YouTube video with Amara subtitles used to block the YouTube video progress bar. We’ve raised the position of the Amara subtitles on the screen, so that you can now use YouTube’s progress bar with Amara subtitles.
- Bug Fix: The info tray and subtitle list are now back to automatically updating as you change subtitle timing. We had a short lapse in this functionality.
- Bug Fix: We fixed several bugs with our Undo feature in the Amara Subtitle Editor to make it work more intuitively with text and timing edits, subtitle splits, and the info tray.
- Bug Fix: Users can now add a new subtitle at the bottom of the subtitle list as expected, whether the timeline is showing or hidden.
- Security fix: user passwords can no longer be changed via the API.
- New: Team administrators can now send Evaluation assignments to another team even after the work team has completed their assignments.
- Bug fix: Adding a video to a Collaboration team with auto-create turned on and machine-assisted captioning enabled no longer causes an error.
- Bug fix: If you attempt to add a previously connected YouTube channel to a second Amara user account, we now show you the previously connected username with the error.
- Bug fix: If you are logged in to your YouTube or Vimeo account in your browser and add a video anywhere on Amara, the metadata and subtitles now import as expected from the video hosting site.
- New: Deactivating user accounts is now more comprehensive, giving users more control over their personal data and videos added to Amara.
- New: We now require a certain strength of password for new users to create Amara accounts, and for existing users to change their password.
- New: Resetting passwords for user accounts is more secure now – the password reset page requires an extra email verification step.
- New: We’ve given a little more flexibility when purchasing subtitles through Amara On Demand. Providing your billing address is now optional when sending an inquiry from the form on the Purchase Subtitles page.
- Bug fix: You can now upload ITT files with UTF-8 encoded characters without issues. For example, you can upload a file with the musical note character ♪! (see it in GitHub)
- Security fixes: our sincere thanks to the following users, who have reported the security vulnerabilities fixed in the current release: Kaushik Sardar, Krishna, M Shahzaib, Ravi Kumar, Vismit Sudhir Rakhecha (Druk)
- Bug fix: Polish keyboard combinations for Polish letters ł ó or ż were creating an unwanted undo action. This doesn’t occur anymore. (See it in GitHub)
Highlights of the new features we launched in May.
- 2018-5-29 undo/redo in the Amara Editor
- 2018-5-22 Improvements to using assignment deadlines to keep subtitlers accountable for their work
- 2018-5-2 Customizable Resources tab for Collaboration team admins to share helpful information with their team
- Bug fix: briefly, the warnings for characters per second and per line were not updating in real time in the editor. Now they update in real time again.
- New: we added an undo/redo function to the Amara Editor! Use it with the keyboard shortcut ctrl+Z (PC) or cmd+Z (Mac).
- Style update: We’re unifying the experience you have on amara.org, starting with standardizing the way we display text and use colors. Text is generally bigger and teal is now the color of important things.
- Bug fix: shifting subtitles forward starting from the middle of a subtitle now updates the end time, as expected.
- Bug fix: metadata from public Vimeo videos is now correctly imported when a Vimeo video url is added to Amara. This means the title and description, along with some other information about the video, will be transferred automatically to Amara.
- Feature update: on the team dashboard, we disabled the “popular languages” option in the Available Assignments section, so that team members are encouraged to take assignments only in the languages they speak.
- Feature update: team administrators now have the flexibility to leave team members assigned when their assignment deadline expires. Before, automatic un-assignment was the only option. If you would like to take advantage of this option, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will add it into the Collaboration team settings pages soon!
- Security fixes: thanks to Dinar Gataullin and Ishwar Prasad Bhat for reporting recently fixed security vulnerabilities!
- New: subtitles can now be positioned to the top of the video player in the editor. Cues for subtitle positioning are included when exporting subtitles in webVTT, DFXP and ITT formats. (See it in GitHub)
- New: we added a new Resources tab to Collaboration Teams, where team admins can share helpful links and contact info for their subtitlers. Text is customizable in team settings -> messages.
- Feature update: when assignment deadlines are set on your Collaboration team, the assignee will now get notified when 50% of the time toward the assignment deadline has passed. We hope the reminders help subtitlers complete subtitles more quickly!
- Feature update: we made the form fields clear and consistent on the Edit Video modal on the Management -> Videos page for Collaboration Teams.
- Bug fix: subtitles downloaded in .ssa format now include line breaks. Before, they were squashed together upon export. (See it in GitHub)
- Bug fix: we handle splitting unsynced subtitles more gracefully than before. (See it in GitHub)
Highlights of the new features we launched in April.
- 2018-4-24 Splitting subtitles available in the editor, and improvements to managing multiple requests and videos
- 2018-4-9 Metadata import with Brightcove integration
- 2018-4-3- Task Teams can now switch to upgraded Collaboration Teams
Release date: April 24, 2018
- New: We added a split subtitles feature to the editor with keyboard shortcut ctrl+enter. (See it in GitHub)
- New: An activity record is now stored every time a video title is changed. This will help team admins track changes now that team administrators can edit video titles.
- New: The Stoney Nakoda language [sto] was added to the Amara language selector!
- Bug fix: We fixed several bugs with scrollbars, and they appear consistently for all screen widths now. (See it in GitHub)
- Feature update: In the Member Directory, we disabled the management checkbox for the user viewing the page, so that it’s clear that you can’t change your own role or remove yourself from the team.
- Feature update: You can now click anywhere in a video card to select it in a list. The video card gets highlighted when you hover over it to illustrate this. There’s no longer a need to be super accurate and click the small checkbox to the left of the list entry.
- Feature update: Error messages for the bulk shift subtitles feature we released in late 2017 now read more clearly as full sentences. That way it’s easy to understand what we mean, and to translate them to other languages.
- Bug fix: Typing a language code and then pressing enter in our multiple language selector now creates a single entry, as expected. No more duplicate entries for language code and language. This makes the most efficient way to create multiple requests simpler: typing all the languages, with commas or without, and then hit enter once at the end and you’ll get exactly the languages you expected.
- Bug fix: The Newest Video panel on Collaboration Team dashboards now correctly shows the number of additional videos in the selected project, rather than in the entire team.
- Security fixes: thanks to the following users for reporting recently fixed security vulnerabilities!
Release date: April 9, 2018
- New: Santali [sat], Ho [hoc] and Paraguayan Guarani [gug] were added to the Amara language selector!
- Feature update: Metadata (video title and description) from Brightcove videos now imports to Amara for teams using our Brightcove integration.
- Feature update: our inquiry forms for Amara Enterprise and On Demand, as well as our application page for On Demand linguists, have been restyled for better usability.
- Bug fix: the “Get Started” link on the Amara Subtitling Platform page now directs correctly to the Enterprise inquiry form.
Release date: April 4, 2018
- Bug fix: the expected success message now appears when team administrators remove members from the team. No more confusion when the validation message and the behavior don’t match here.
Release date: April 3, 2018
- New: Hän [haa], Gwich’in [gwi], Holikachuk [hoi], and Koyukon [koy] were added to the Amara language selector!
- New: Task Teams can now safely be switched to their upgraded version, Collaboration teams. If you are a task team administrator, email email@example.com to find out about early migration! We’ll be reaching out in the next couple of months with the timeline for moving all task teams over to the upgraded model.
- Bug fix: the “see all” link under Assignment History on Collaboration Team dashboards no longer leads to a 404 error for some users. Now it directs you to your team member profile where you can see your full assignment history on that team.
Highlights of the new features we launched in March.
- 2018-3-20 Ability to edit video titles on Collaboration teams
- 2018-3-14 New setting for Collaboration teams
- 2018-3-6 Better handling of SCC format for subtitles
Release date: March 20, 2018
- Feature update: in Collaboration teams, the “select all” option on the Member Directory for team admins now selects every member but yourself. This is more consistent than before, since you can’t change your own role in the team or remove yourself from the team. (See it in Github)
- Bug fix: we fixed a bug in our message hiding code so that now works correctly: if you click “x” on the “you have this many messages” banner, it stays hidden next time you log in. (See it in Github)
- Bug fix: long video titles used to display awkwardly on the activity listing on the team member profile page. Now they are easier to read. (See it in Github)
- New: A video’s original title (in the video language) can now be edited by team administrators on Collaboration teams without entering the editor. This is possible from the Edit Video modal on the Team Management Page, Videos tab.
Release date: March 14, 2018
- New: Collaboration team administrators can now configure whether public users can add copies of the team’s video in Amara Public. This option appears on the General Settings page.
Release date: March 6, 2018
- New: for SCC subtitle format, we now shift the start time forward by 1 hour and adjust the frame rates so that the subs will be sync’d correctly.
- Bug fix: Search boxes and dropdown menus are now the same height.
- Bug fix: In Collaboration team workflow settings, teams that set their collaboration due dates to “never” accidentally got a due date generated if they used the “Generate Missing Collaborations” feature. This no longer happens.
Highlights of the new features we launched in February.
- 2018-2-12 updates to minimize downtime and maximize performance
- 2018-2-6 shift subtitles feature in the Editor
Release date: February 12-16
- New: we did a series of infrastructure updates that make amara.org run more smoothly. That means less downtime, and faster, more consistent performance.
Release date: February 6, 2018
- New: you can now shift subtitles forward and backward in the editor in bulk! (See it in Github)
- New: Amara teams now offer more choices for who can view your team, videos, and subtitles. Collaboration team admins can configure their team’s privacy on the General Settings page.
- Feature update: we updated the code for the embedder to handle attributes better. (See it in Github)
- Bug fix: we fixed a bad link on the email sent when one Amara user messages another
- Bug fix: the “prevent duplicate videos” option for teams is now working properly, and duplicate videos posted in the public area can be moved to the team.
Highlights of the new features we launched in January.
- 2018-1-31 more consistent UI for adding a video without setting the video language
- 2018-1-24 finishing touches on full-screen mode for the Amara embedder
- 2018-1-18 Improvement to our Brightcove integration
- 2018-1-10 Full screen mode for the Amara video player/embedder
- 2018-1-3 fixed some bugs for collaboration team notifications and and application-based admission teams
Release date: January 31, 2018
- Feature update: while you have to select a language when you add a video to Amara, you can now choose “don’t set the language” from the very bottom of the language dropdown.
- Style update: we adjusted the spacing and colors of our form fields, to make the labels stand out more, show a clearer relationship between each label and its field, and make the help text easier to read.
Release date: January 24, 2018
- Feature update: We’ve made sure the Amara embedder gracefully handle video formats that do not support full-screen mode.
Release date: January 18, 2018
- Feature update: For users of the Brightcove integration with Amara teams, you will now see the name of the language as the “label” in Brightcove studio when your subtitles are exported to Brightcove.
- Feature update: team admins can now select all results across all pages of the members list in the Member Directory
- Feature update: Sending a duplicate invite to a collab team now returns clearer error message: “User has a pending invite or is already a member of this team”
- Bug fix: we fixed an issue with application-based admission to teams
Release date: January 10, 2018
- New: full screen mode is now available for the Amara video player. Use the button in the lower-right of the player to enter full-screen mode.
Release date: January 3, 2018
- Feature update: Collaboration team members now get notified when they are made managers or admins
- Bug fix: fixed some inconsistencies for when a member leaves a team with an application-based admission policy
- Bug fix: the menu was missing from onsite Amara embedders, but it is now back!
- Security fix: we made our login page more secure from attacks