API Refactor Progress

It’s been two weeks since I posted about starting work on the Amara API Refactor and I wanted to share the progress since then.

As usual, I underestimated the amount of work it would take.  Originally I was estimating 2-4 weeks of development time.  After 2 weeks, I can safely say that 4 weeks is the minimum amount of time and 6 is probably a better guess.

One of the things I didn’t realize would be so difficult is matching the old API exactly.  Things like the “meta” variable for paginated lists and making the input/output format selection all took longer than expected.  Hopefully I got it right, please tell me if there is a mismatch between the old output and the new.

With all of that said, there are a couple endpoints that have been implemented and the code was being deployed as I typed this out.  If you use the API, I would love for you to check out the new implementations.  One of the biggest improvements with the new API is the browser-friendly endpoints, so you should be able to navigate to the URLs in your browser and test them out.  Make sure you’re logged in to the site first and also make sure that any data you POST to the endpoints is really what you want.  Here’s the endpoints implemented so far:

Lastly, I’ve been putting in work to make sure the API docs are up-to-date and readable.  http://amara.readthedocs.org/en/latest/new-api.html contains a description of the new API. The sections are basically the same as before, but hopefully it’s a bit more clear.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s