Universal Subtitles is a collaborative and award-winning platform for subtitling and translating online video. We’ve created an elegant subtitling tool that you can embed into any webpage, for almost any video. And we’re building an online community to subtitle and translate the world’s most popular and significant videos.
We’re looking for a web developer who is either (or both):
1) An experienced Django developer (preferred) or…
2) An experienced developer of web applications with strong fundamentals and a track record of quickly learning new frameworks.
If you’re awesome and you’re excited about our project, we want to talk to you. Though the need we have right now is for someone who can rapidly build user facing features on our subtitle collaboration site, and we think knowing Django inside out will help.
The project is free and open source, available under the AGPL license, and our organization is a 501(c)3 non-profit. Our supporters include Mozilla and the MacArthur Foundation. And our tool has been used by the New York Times in their Egypt coverage and by Khan Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org/) in their ongoing effort to translate their award-winning educational videos.
Things that make you an even stronger candidate, from our point of view:
* Ability to make reasonable UI/UX decisions on the fly as you code
* Good communication skills for working with developers in other organizations (partners, clients)
* Project management experience
To apply, send a resume (txt or rtf) to firstname.lastname@example.org