We now allow shifting subtitles forward or backward in bulk in the Amara Editor! Read on to learn how it works.
Updated tool menus
You may have noticed there are now two buttons in the middle of the screen where there only used to be one: the clock and the wrench. We separated the tools so that now the clock icon holds all of the timing tools, and the wrench icon includes tools related to text and subtitle content.
Shift subtitles feature
In the timing tools menu, we have added two new options: shift subtitles forward, and shift subtitles backward.
You can use these to:
- shift all subtitles in the video
- shift all subtitles after a certain time stamp
- shift all subtitles before a certain time stamp
For more details, try it out in the editor and read our Knowledge base articles: Timing Tools (Clock menu) and Subtitle Tools (Wrench menu).
We’ve also added an option for users who prefer to click on the timeline to access timing tools. You can now right-click anywhere on the timeline to either hide it, shift subtitles forward, or shift subtitles backwards.
Want to share feedback about the new feature? Let us know how the Shift Subtitles feature could be even better by sending an email to email@example.com with the subject “Shift subs feedback.” We’re looking forward to making more editor improvements in 2018!
We are moving along with the UI updates for Collaboration Teams. Earlier this week, the new Member Directory was released, which allows team admins to access the new Application Review page as well. Some of the highlights of the new UI over their older counterparts:
- bulk actions for team admins on the Member directory – change team member roles and remove team members
- admission-related links grouped and displayed together in the upper right of Member Directory
- language filter added to Application Review Page
- filters clearly laid out on the left of the screen instead of hidden inside the tab header, with more descriptive titles
- team member and applicant listings show both full name and Amara username
- user’s languages are displayed as text, instead of enclosed in boxes that look clickable but aren’t
Want to know more? Read about the full functionality of these pages on the Amara Knowledge Base articles, and let us know what you think by commenting on the Forum Post.
Member Directory (Collaboration Teams)
Application Review Page (Collaboration Teams)
If you’re not part of a Collaboration Team, don’t worry! We plan to roll out the new styles to other areas of the Amara site as soon as we finish the Collaboration team pages.
We’ve just released a group of features that allows higher flexibility for adding videos to Amara.
Previously, we only allowed a video url to exist in one place in all of Amara – so if a user tried to add a video to the public area, and the video was already on Amara in the Enterprise teams area, they would get an error message. This would also happen if a user tried to add a video to one Enterprise team that was already in another Enterprise team.
Now, a single video url can exist on Amara on multiple teams as well as the public area, for teams and users who wish to independently create their own subtitles for the same video.
For teams who prefer to prevent their team members from mistakenly subtitling videos in the public area, there is a flag that you can set to mimic the old behavior. If the flag is set for your team, then the following is true:
- If a video exists in the public area, and a user on your team tries to add the same video to your team, Amara will move the video to your team instead of creating a new one.
- If a video exists on a team, users will not be able to add it to the public area.
If you’re unsure if the flag is set for your Enterprise team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can let us know what you think or ask questions about the feature by responding on this forum post.